“My advisor at my previous school was so difficult to get ahold of. Sometimes I didn’t get a response to my questions for weeks.”
“I wasn’t sure who to call about an issue I was having while enrolled in the program, there are so many different offices. And as an online student, I can’t just walk around campus to find someone to help me.”
We’ve heard a lot of stories from our students about the confusing system of higher education, especially for part-time students who access campus resources from a remote location or during evening hours. This is the exact reason that we prioritize student success at the College of Professional Studies. We understand that your experience and interactions with our college can directly impact your success as a student.
Enter your advisor.
Our Goal is Your Success
Higher education is comprised of various offices with different specialties and personnel. Your academic advisor can help you to navigate the sometimes-confusing structure of this large, complex organization. They have your best interest in mind and can assist you in prioritizing your needs. An advisor is not just a tool to help with course selection and registration, they can play a much larger role in your success as a college student.
At the College of Professional Studies, we take student success very seriously. Our team members talk with you to determine your goals and how you can make the most of your time at Syracuse University. We use a highly proactive approach that can include reviewing your employment history and previous transcripts to guide you towards earning your degree in the most efficient way possible that works with your schedule.
After you are accepted into Syracuse University as a part-time student, our student success teams will ensure that you are ready to enter the classroom, from determining your courses and degree plan, to introducing you to the platforms you will be using while enrolled as a student. Your advisor will also help you navigate any issues that you encounter throughout your studies and reach out to you throughout the semester to ensure that you are on track and feeling confident and comfortable in your progress.
Your advisor can provide a wide range of benefits to you, including:
- Guidance on academic matters: Your advisors can help you choose your courses, determine your major, and plan out your academic schedule. They can also advise you on study strategies and time management skills.
- Support: Advisors can also help you navigate academics around personal issues that may affect your attendance and/or academic performance.
- Access to resources: Our advisors will help you navigate the various resources available on campus, such as libraries, writing centers, tutoring services and career centers.
- Advocacy: Advisors can advocate on your behalf if you encounter challenges that may affect your ability to succeed in your studies.
How do you make the most of your advisor?
To make the most of your college advisor, here are some tips:
- Meet with your advisor regularly: Schedule regular appointments with your advisor to discuss your academic progress, career goals, and any personal challenges you may be facing. Don’t wait to seek their help.
- Come prepared: Before meeting with your advisor, make a list of questions or topics you want to discuss.
- Follow up: Take notes during your meetings and follow up on any action items or recommendations your advisor provides. This will assist you in meeting your goals and help you to stay on track.
- Use their resources: Your advisor can connect you with a variety of resources on campus, such as tutoring services and career centers. Take advantage of these resources to enhance your academic and personal development.
Remember, your advisor is there to provide support and help you succeed in your academic pursuits. By building a positive and collaborative relationship with them, you can make the most of your college experience and achieve your goals.
Start or continue your educational goals at Syracuse University, we’re ready to help!