About the International Year One (iY-1) Program
The iY-1 Program offers international students unprecedented access to U.S. higher education. Syracuse University, in partnership with Interlearn, Inc., has developed a special blended first-year university learning curriculum for students in designated countries. This program provides students with a practical education and a more simplified college application process.
International students who qualify for this program begin Syracuse University classes in their home countries, usually their hometowns, taking credit-bearing courses, English language classes, and study skill modules from Syracuse University faculty and local teachers. Classes will be taught in a hybrid format, with in person classes with your instructors at your center and online classes with Syracuse University professors. Upon successful completion of the program and meeting all requirements, students’ progress to the Syracuse University campus or other partner institutions in the U.S. where they complete their undergraduate degree.
Key benefits of the iY-1 Program:
- Standardized test exempt. As with our traditional undergraduate requirements for international students, this program is SAT/ACT exempt, and English standardized proficiency tests are not required.
- Begin first year university in your home country. You will take the Fall and Spring semesters in your home country and then travel to Syracuse to study in person at Syracuse University for the Summer semester. For year two, you will stay at Syracuse University or transfer to a partner institution prepared to continue building your academic and professional future.
- Hybrid learning offers convenience and quality. Study with local instructors teaching face-to-face in small groups and online with Syracuse professors’ lectures and office hours.
- Syracuse status. Students receive Syracuse accounts, official transcripts and all Syracuse University online resources while in this program.
- Hands on workshops and support from Syracuse University staff. You will have access to several workshops that will enhance your learning and provide you with resources in order to be successful in college. The Student Services staff at Syracuse University will support you throughout your first year and we will be there to guide you and answer any questions you may have.
- Syracuse University courses and credits. Courses are taught directly by Syracuse University professors with all credits applicable toward your degree. Syracuse University is a highly ranked institution whose credits and degrees are recognized globally.
- Save cost and save time. Spend less on first-year tuition and living expenses.
Who should consider iY-1?
iY-1 is an ideal option for international students who welcome an untraditional first-year university experience and are ready to earn their admission to Syracuse University. iY-1 works as a supplement to Syracuse University’s traditional international admissions by offering innovative access to U.S. higher education to those international students who may be intimidated by or unprepared for the long and expensive traditional college preparation and application process in the U.S.
iY-1 may be the right choice for you if:
- You could benefit from additional academic English preparation. As an iY-1 student, you will achieve college-ready English proficiency through intensive academic English courses, as opposed to long and costly prep classes for standardized tests.
- You know you would perform better in college courses if you begin slowly while allowing yourself time to perfect your academic English and study skills.
- You feel spending your first year at a teaching center in your home country would be the best choice for you, your family, and your finances.
- You motivate yourself to succeed in online instruction from Syracuse University, coupled with on-ground classes and support, during your first fall and spring semesters.
- You are willing to prove your potential and readiness to achieve high admission standards by meeting a series of strict academic requirements, including a minimum GPA of 3.0 for progressing to your second year at Syracuse University.
How it works
Pre-Sessional English Language Training
Prior to acceptance to the iY-1 program, applicants will take an English proficiency assessment. Based upon the results of the assessment, applicants may be required to attend either a 6-week or 12-week Pre-Sessional English program, held fully online in the Summer of 2023. See dates and application deadlines below.
Participation in the Pre-Sessional English program will improve your academic English proficiency in preparation for the full iY-1 program in the fall. Students will enjoy both live online sessions with Syracuse University instructors and independent study tasks. Live sessions will meet for approximately 10-12 hours per week. Successful completion of the Pre-Sessional English program guarantees your acceptance and admission to the iY-1 program.
Important Dates of the Program
- May 22, 2023: 12- week start date for pre-sessional online English training
- July 3, 2023: 6- week start date for pre-sessional online English training
Pre-Sessional Program Application Deadlines:
- May 5, 2023: Application deadline for 12-week pre-sessional program
- June 16, 2023: Application deadline for 6-week pre-sessional program
- August 28, 2023: Begin your first semester of the iY-1 program in your home country at your designated center.
- January 16, 2024: Begin your second semester of undergraduate courses in your home country at your designated center.
- May 17, 2024: Latest date to arrive in Syracuse to continue your first year on the Syracuse University campus for your summer semester.
- May 22, 2024: Begin your summer semester at Syracuse University.
- August 26, 2024: Begin your second undergraduate year at Syracuse University or a partner institution with 30 credits.
iY-1 Application Deadline:
- August 4, 2023: iY-1 Application Deadline
Tuition for iY-1 Program
|Pre-Sessional I (12-Week Summer 2023 Program)||$8,510*|
|Pre-Sessional II (6-Week Summer 2023 Program)||$4,255*|
*subject to change
Requirements for the program
- Working laptop for all components of the program
- Working camera
- Working microphone
*Please ensure that you have all of the above before the first day of the program
A welcome from the Dean: