Need Based Assistance

There are many different options for part-time students who require need-based assistance to complete a degree at Syracuse University. We’ll help you locate every possible source of aid available to you, and the Financial Aid office will even estimate your financial aid eligibility before you formally apply for admission. The following need-based financial assistance scholarships, grants, and federal programs are available to part time undergraduate students enrolled at Syracuse University:

Undergraduate Need-based Financial Aid Sources Available through the College of Professional Studies

  • University College Institutional Tuition Grant: A non-repayable tuition award depending on student need and availability of the institution’s funds.
  • University College Institutional Tuition Scholarship: A non-repayable tuition award available to students who have completed 12 credits through University College with a 3.0 cumulative GPA. The scholarship is based on student need and availability of institution’s funds.
  • Count on Us Child Care Grant: With sponsorship from Syracuse University’s Human Resources department, the College of Professional Studies has entered into a partnership with Child Care Solutions , a local not-for-profit organization that provides information, referrals, and educational materials to parents who need child care in order to continue their education.
  • The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP): Provides non-repayable funds to New York State residents whose financial and educational backgrounds would prohibit them from admission to Syracuse University.
  • Other Grants &  Scholarships: Donor sponsored scholarships are available to students who qualify for part-time financial aid. Students will be notified when these opportunities exist.

Need-based NY State Resident Programs for Undergraduates

  • Aid for Part-time Study Program (APTS): A grant program financed by New York State in conjunction with participating educational institutions throughout the state. The program provides up to $2,000 per year to help part-time undergraduates meet their educational expenses, dependent on state allocation each year.
  • Part-time TAP: Part-time students who were full-time, first-time freshmen in 2006-07, or later, may be eligible for this program. If eligible, students should bring their current TAP notice to the College of Professional Studies Financial Aid Office in order to calculate their Part-Time TAP.

Need-based Federal Programs

  • Federal Pell Grant: A non-repayable, federal need-based award.
  • Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP): A need-based, federally funded work grant available by request.
  • Subsidized Federal Student Loan: A low-interest, need-based federal loan. Repayment begins six (6) months after a student stops attending at least half time.