Veterans Benefits

Also called the “GI Bill®,” VA Education Benefits support educational benefits for veterans, their dependents, and their survivors. The Syracuse University Veterans’ Resource Center certifies enrollment of SU students who wish to use these benefits.

First time use of VA Education Benefits by a student requires completion of the VA Education Benefits Certification Request , and a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE). A copy of the veteran’s DD214 may be used temporarily while awaiting COE from the VA. A copy of the VA Education Benefits Certification Request form must be completed for each term in which the student requests VA Education Benefits.

VA Education Benefits Certification Request

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Using your VA Education Benefits

Student veterans who are eligible for VA Education Benefits may apply to use them during the semester. Benefits approved for use during the current semester are not continued for the next semester unless the student so requests, and registration does not automatically activate your benefits. Requests to use the benefits for the semester will be accepted beginning February 15 for summer terms, March 1 for fall terms, and October 1 for spring terms. E-mail or call 315.443.3261 for veteran’s information.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits are administered between the student’s VA counselor and the Syracuse University Bursar Office, 102 Archbold North.